J.D. Birla Institute (JDBI) was established in 1962 and has completed more than 50 years in service to higher education. In acknowledgement of its continuous quest for excellence and the exemplary standards it has set and maintained through the decade, in 2010 JDBI was awarded the highest possible grading of “A” by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). The Institute is a private unaided College affiliated with Jadavpur University, a world renowned Center of Excellence since 1963.
The late Sushila Devi Birla, wife of eminent industrialist late L. N. Birla established a college for girls in her mother-in-law’s name in June 1962. The College was named Smt. Jawahari Devi Birla Institute of Home Science and it filled a much felt gap in the scientific education of young women from Calcutta’s conservative families.
Over five decades, the Institute has grown with the needs and demands of the changing times.
A Department of Commerce was added in 1997 and in tune with the shifting zeitgeist; another campus was started in 2002 to house the co-educational Department of Management. At this time, the name of the institution was simplified to J. D. Birla Institute. In the year 2009, four new professionally oriented under-graduate B.Sc courses (Food Science & Nutrition Management; Textile Science, Clothing & Fashion Studies; Interior Designing and Human Development) were introduced apart from two new post-graduate M.Sc courses (Food & Nutrition and Textiles & Clothing) in 2009. M.Com was introduced and the Home Science Programme discontinued in 2013.
Today, the Institute has been ranked high amongst Institutes of higher learning in the country by several rating agencies including India Today, Career 360 and Times Magazine.
Awards Won by the College
- The Economic Times Best Education Brand Award 2020.
- Gurukul Award for the Most Promising College from Lions Club of Kolkata in 2019.
- Education Ratna Award 2019 for India's Outstanding & Innovative High Quality
- Educational Institute Award from RULA accredited by the World Research Council in 2019.
- Most Friendly College by Bengal Rowing Club in 2020.
- Gurukul Award for the Best BBA College from Lions Club of Kolkata in 2019
- Best Dressed Girls College and Most Friendly College awards from Bengal Rowing Club awards in 2019.
- Gurukul Award for the Best BBA College from Lions Club of Kolkata in 2018
- Best Dressed College award from Bengal Rowing Club in 2018.
- Gurukul Award for the Best Upcoming College from Lions Club of Kolkata in 2017
- Best Discipline College award from Bengal Rowing Club in 2017.
- Gurukul Award for the Best Upcoming College from Lions Club of Kolkata in 2010.
- Gurukul Award for the Best Maintained College from Lions Club of Kolkata in 2008.
- Gurukul Award for the College to Look For from Lions Club of Kolkata in 2007.
Awards Won by the Principal
- Woman Super Achiever Award given on the occasion of the 7 th edition of World Woman Leadership Congress in 2020.
- Woman Leadership Award from West Bengal Best Brand Awards 2019 in 2019.
- Gurukul Awards for Principal of the Year (College Category) from of Lions Club of Kolkata in 2019.
- Sankalp Education Awards for Principal of the Year (College Category) from Lions Clubs International in 2019.
- Top Achievers in the Field of Education from Jain International Trade Organization (JITO), Kolkata Chapter in 2019.
- Education Ratna Award for India's Outstanding Academician from RULA Awards accredited by the World Research Council .
- Young Academic Leadership Award from the Higher Education Forum in 2013.
- Exemplary Leadership Qualities and Outstanding Contribution in the Field of Education by iLEAD in 2013.
- Best Principal (College Category) from Lions Club of Kolkata in 2010.